Saturday, December 7, 2013

Process Drama


Process drama is a great way to teach comprehension of this story.  Students are able to act out scenes of the story.  This allows students to learn without feeling like their learning because it's fun but it also lets the teachers do informal assessments of the students learnings.  This particular book is an excellent example of process drama.  On youtube there are so many movie trailers done by students, mostly middle school age, using the art of process drama.  The amount of creativity that I found in these videos was amazing and some of them seem to actually capture my own ideals of the story.  Below you will find a link to one of the many trailers that I enjoyed and I hope you will too!



Monster- Unofficial Trailer

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed watching the clip! Violent scenes are always difficult to have kids (students) act out without loosing focus or sight of the purpose or seemingly glorifying the violence. Not sure if there is a right or wrong way to do this or if I would be comfortable letting my students act out violent scenes? What do you think? Perhaps, given a disclaimer before or a "talk" about the violence seen in the story and that they will act out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the violence is something that I don't necessarily want my students to act but at the same time its a reality. I think that if I were to use this within my own classroom I would focus on the courtroom scenes so that the robbery and murder are talked about but they don't need to physically reenact it.

    ReplyDelete